cvs commit: LFS/bootscripts/contrib/init.d hotplug

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 16 15:51:53 PDT 2004

Nathan Coulson wrote:

> What use do we have with disabling hotplug in the hotplug stop script
> anyway?  [meant to be a question, not an accusation BTW].  Or are you
> thinking of adding a stop script to rc0 and rc6?

If a hotplug event occurs after /usr is unmounted, or other resources
needed by user-created hotplug scripts are not available, the shutdown
will be "noisy" and various errors will appear on the console. Disabling
hotplug before taking down critical parts of the system is useful for
the same reason that not enabling it until the system is ready is useful
(although not quite as important).