cvs commit: LFS/BOOK/chapter05 hostreqs.xml

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 18 10:19:09 PDT 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 06:46:01 +0600
"Alexander E. Patrakov" <see at the.sig> wrote:

> matthew at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
> > matthew     04/06/17 13:55:41
> >
> > Modified:    BOOK     general.ent BOOK/chapter01 changelog.xml
> > BOOK/chapter05 hostreqs.xml Log: Clarify that a gcc-3.x compiled
> > kernel is required in order for the NTPL testsuite to run without
> > segfaulting
>
> Couldn't we put building replacement host kernel into the book in ch5
> after gcc?

We could, and in fact today I realised that yesterdays commit didn't
contain everything required.  I believe there's justification for
putting a`uname -a` command in there to let people know how to find
out how their host compiled their kernel.  Then we can say something
like "if the output of the above command states that your host's kernel
has not been compiled with gcc-3.0 or above, then you will need to
compile one yourself and reboot using that kernel.  Instructions for
compiling the kernel and configuring the bootloader (assuming your
host uses GRUB) can be found in chapter 8."

Does this sound reasonable?

Matt.