cvs commit: LFS/BOOK/chapter05 hostreqs.xml

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 18 10:28:04 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:

> We could, and in fact today I realised that yesterdays commit didn't
> contain everything required.  I believe there's justification for
> putting a`uname -a` command in there to let people know how to find
> out how their host compiled their kernel.  Then we can say something
> like "if the output of the above command states that your host's kernel
> has not been compiled with gcc-3.0 or above, then you will need to
> compile one yourself and reboot using that kernel.  Instructions for
> compiling the kernel and configuring the bootloader (assuming your
> host uses GRUB) can be found in chapter 8."
>
> Does this sound reasonable?

The idea is great. The procedure doesn't work, at least not on my
LFS systems anyway.

"uname -a" gives this:

Linux rmlinux 2.6.4 #1 Thu Mar 18 18:19:32 CST 2004 i686
AuthenticAMD unknown GNU/Linux

better would be: "cat /proc/version"  which gives this:

Linux version 2.6.4 (rml at rmlinux) (gcc version 2.95.3 20010315
(release)) #1 Thu Mar 18 18:19:32 CST 2004

--
Randy