r3869 - trunk/bootscripts

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Wed Jun 30 23:17:03 PDT 2004

The Old Fellow wrote:
> alexander at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>> Log:
>> Moved hotplug start to runlevels 3-5 from sysinit
>
> Why? No discussion in lfs-dev that I can see.

The discussion happened on IRC and via private mails.

The reason for the move is that I will include network hotplug into LFS
soon. If we run hotplug initscript in rc.sysinit, it will detect all PCI
devices, including network cards. With network hotplug enabled, this
would mean that the corresponding interfaces will be brought up even in
runlevels 1 and 2. That's bad.

Of course someone will say "use the output of /sbin/runlevel instead to
determine whether to bring interfaces up". This solution is bad because
there exist removable USB network cards that will not be coldplugged
correctly with that approach.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr \!-: a-z | tr n .