Implications of dbtml directive removal and renaming of html files to loose chapter info

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 4 13:05:15 PST 2004

As per my previous email, it is going to look very messy if all files
end up in the root directory.

And you can't even do this without renaming all the html files to
something like toolschapter-gcc.html compared to uhm
normallfssystembuild-gcc.html or whatever it was you had in mind.

We are still writing a book here. Books have chapters. Generated
filenames and directories should have meaningful names in the sense of a
book.

I've seen the partial change that was made to the current CVS book where
chapters 3 and 4 are now all in the root directory with filenames that
aren't at all chapter related. I have to say, I don't like it.

I understand your reasons for wanting to be chapter independant so it
will be easier to insert chapters and remove them as needed. This can be
done at the XML level. But *not* at the generated HTML level. Chapters
make very much sense in a book setting and generated HTML files should
be sorted as used to do, in a directory named after the chapter and a
filename as we used to use (and still are used in chapters 5 and 6 for
example).

The XML change is being made in newxml and only there.

So Alex I'd like you to put the dbhtml directives back, or find a way so
the html files end up in their chapter directories again. Or propose a
third alternative that I haven't brought up. As things are now, I find
the current implementation unacceptable.