Why is gcc-3.3.1-no_fixincludes-2.patch patch applied in Chapter 6?

Zack Winkles winkie at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 14 20:32:00 PST 2004

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 07:45:56PM -0800, zoltan wrote:
> The explanation for why to patch gcc with the -no_fixincludes patch in
> Chapter 5 is very nice, and I think I understand it...but by the
> explanation itself, it seems to imply that the -no_fixincludes patch
> OUGHT NOT be appled in chapter 6.  But it is.
>
> Could the reasoning for this be clarified a bit please, cause I can't
> quite follow the it...

The main reason is that it only "fixes" a few headers when it's run so
early in Chapter 6, and those that it does fix don't need fixing at all.
It's a waste of time.

As a side note, the GCC have a solution for this.  In the gcc-lib/*/*/
dir there's another dir called install-tools/, which contains everything
to rerun fixincludes on the system.  After the system is done, it may be
wise to do so.

Another side note, I don't know anybody that does, and I don't think
anybody has suffered because of it.

Screw fixincludes.

Later,
Zack