Different CVS modules, different (outdated) states

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Mar 21 09:41:27 PST 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-21 at 10:36, Matthew Burgess wrote:
> The best advice I can give is to do a `ls -R1 LFS/BOOK` & `ls -R1
> LFS/newxml` and diff the two outputs.  Essentially all that is
> required is to use that output to determine what needs `cvs add`ing
> and `cvs rm`ing.  Once it's in HEAD (or maybe before) then we'll have to
> make sure that libxml2, libxslt, docbook-xml & docbook-xsl are all up to
> date on belgrarath as well, so it can be processed.

Let's take care of those software issues before we make a change. It
won't take long to compile new versions and put the new dtd and such
into place.

> Actually, I remember responding to something a few days ago on lfs-dev
> whereby it was generally agreed that newxml should replace HEAD only
> when the docbook-DTD is officially released in it's 4.3 version.  At the
> moment we're referencing a candidate release (albeit one that very very
> closely resembles the finally accepted version).

If you say the RC release works, then it works and I'll take your word
for it and we can use it. Can you dig up that email you referred to?
I'll reply to it so the rest of the world knows too.

> I'd like to see HEAD updated to newxml, then cut a fresh branch as of
> whenever that gets done.

I agree, that seems the best.

> I'm prepared to do this, whenever it's agreed that it can go ahead.
> Close coordination will be required with other dev's to ensure they're
> not working on anything that needs to be merged prior to the cutover.

Maybe today is a bit too ambitious. Get me that email if you can find it
quickly, then I'll reply to it and upgrade the necessary software on the
server. Then I'll let lfs-dev know about the idea. I'm still waiting for
Ryan to reply on the Glibc issue before anything gets done.

> Well, it's largely implemented in a Makefile now.  Calling `make`
> will generate the HTML (by default in ~/lfs-book) and `make pdf`
> will generate the PDF.

Even better.