cvs commit: LFS/bootscripts/lfs/sysconfig console

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Tue May 4 07:23:17 PDT 2004

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> nathan at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
>
>>   +KEYMAP="defkeymap"
>>   +KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS="euro"
>>   +FONT="default8x16"
>
> Wouldn't it be better to comment out tham all? And have many variants
> corresponding to different countries, e.g.:
> # Begin /etc/sysconfig/console
> # Uncomment the section corresponding to your country
>
> # Just sane defaults
> #
> # KEYMAP="-d"
> ## KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS are not needed
> # FONT="default8x16"
>
> # Russia, one of many variants actually used
> #
> # KEYMAP="ru"
> # KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS="/etc/kbd/bs-sends-del"

Well, I propose to change that to "ru-ms" since it better matches the
actual layout of keyboards sold now (my keyboard is old) and works with
Emacs better. This still needs the "bs-sends-del" fix. Unlike other
Russian keymaps, this one allows the fix to be combined with it in the
same loadkeys line:

# KEYMAP="ru-ms /etc/kbd/bs-sends-del"
## KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS are not needed

However, to illustrate the KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS line, I propose to write
it in such a way:

# KEYMAP="ru-ms"
# KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS="/etc/kbd/bs-sends-del"

> # FONT="cp866-8x16 -m koi2alt"
>
> # Spain (information from
> # http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14590),
> # please verify
> #
> # KEYMAP="es"
> # KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS="euro"

In fact, because es and euro are both official keymaps, it is better to
write in such way:

#KEYMAP="es euro"
## KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS are not needed

> # FONT="lat9-16 -u iso01"

Well, the keymap recommendation is directly from the Spanish translation
of the book, and FONT is verified. If you press Alt+E, you do get the
Euro sign. So it looks like these settings are correct.

> # End /etc/sysconfig/console

Also I found that the "-n" flag for echo commands in the console script
leads to messages that sometimes don't fit in the standard 80x25
non-framebuffer console. Please remove. Maybe we also want to add
2>/dev/null to the loadkeys commands. Yes I know that these changes are
purely cosmetic.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr [!-:] [a-z] | tr n .