cvs commit: LFS/BOOK/stylesheets/xhtml lfs-navigational.xsl

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 9 15:05:59 PDT 2004

Bruce Dubbs said the following on 08-05-2004 19:38:

> Those 'meaningless' divs provide a handle for controlling the
> presentation with stylesheets.  The area that is affected is the
> navigation links.  They are not in the xml at all.  The divs make more
> sense than the incorrect list (ul). I used the (br) to avoid yet another
> set of divs.

You don't need those handles and the exact same presentation can be
achieved with ul. This is really about seperating structure/content from
presentation. While I agree with your following point that HTML is a
really poor language for expressing meaning, it doesn't mean we
shouldn't make the effort at all. Like you said previously, we want LFS
to excell in all areas, so there is no reason to neglect the HTML and
take the easy way out.

> The important issue  of semantics really applies to the xml, not to the
> generated xhtml.  xhtml is limited in the number of tags it has and
> trying to force the semantics into that limited set is not productive.

Just because you can't represent everything as acurate as possible
doesn't mean we shouldn't try; I actually enjoy that and Manuel has been
more than willing to adjust the XSL for it.

Also, I see that Manuel went ahead and merged our two approaches to
achieve the same presentation while keeping the IMHO more semantically
correct markup - very nice!

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans