cvs commit: LFS/BOOK/stylesheets/xhtml lfs-navigational.xsl

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sun May 9 15:47:26 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

> Bruce Dubbs said the following on 08-05-2004 19:38:
>

>> Those 'meaningless' divs provide a handle for controlling the
>> presentation with stylesheets.  The area that is affected is the
>> navigation links.  They are not in the xml at all.  The divs make
>> more sense than the incorrect list (ul). I used the (br) to avoid yet
>> another set of divs.
>

> You don't need those handles and the exact same presentation can be
> achieved with ul. This is really about seperating structure/content
> from presentation. While I agree with your following point that HTML
> is a really poor language for expressing meaning, it doesn't mean we
> shouldn't make the effort at all. Like you said previously, we want
> LFS to excell in all areas, so there is no reason to neglect the HTML
> and take the easy way out.

I'm all for separating structure/content from presentation.  If someone
can create the proper css file to accomplishes the goal, I'm all for
it.  The problem is that I don't see where the presentation is correct
using the ul structure .. at least with Mozilla.  AFAIK, Mozilla is the
browser that is the best at standards implementation.

  -- Bruce