r4107 - in branches/testing/BOOK: . chapter06

Randy McMurchy randy at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Sep 1 18:05:43 PDT 2004

Randy McMurchy wrote:

> I suppose I'm just confused (what's new?). All this time there's
> been a patch in the book that wasn't supposed to be used unless
> you didn't follow the instructions and install Readline?
>
> This just seems backwards to me.

I'm not sure where my confusion came from, I went back to -dev
and found the original thread where Jim says this:

 > Confirmed, but we should add a note, if they don't use readline they
 > will need the patch.

I just can't imagine having instructions to add a patch that's
only necessary if you didn't follow the instructions in the
book. :-)

I know on my first couple of LFS builds, I tended to look at the
stuff in the gray background and cut-n-pasted these instructions.
(I know, I know, you're supposed to read the fine print). But
still, it just seems awkward to me.

--
Randy