r4148 - in branches/testing/BOOK: chapter02 chapter03 chapter04 chapter05 chapter06 chapter07 chapter08 prologue

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Sep 9 18:49:26 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 19:30, Nico R. wrote:
> I'm not that great in English, but I think "affect" was right in all
> these cases. Could someone please verify whether I'm right/wrong?

affect is commonly used wrong. The word "effect" relates to something
being caused by something else.

"affect" relates to feelings, emotions. Affect is basically to adopt
something so to speak.  Effect is how something relates to another.

For example, I could affect a snotty attitude to fit in with my
self-important coworkers.  Or I could just be myself and hope I effect
them in a positive way.

Does that make sense?