r5222 - trunk/editor-manual/chapter03

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 7 18:16:05 PDT 2005

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork wrote these words on 05/07/05 19:59 CST:
>

>>Not really trying to bash CVS, just trying to go through the text
>>quickly at this point to bring it up to date. Usually, I'm just slightly
>>altering the text that's already there.  That's what this case was. The
>>text was there already, mostly. I just altered it a bit to look at it
>>from our current perspective.
>>
>>If you have something better, by all means, please submit it.
>

> I did submit it, I'm saying the 3 sentences you wrote are inappropriate
> and probably should be removed. What else do you want me to do?

No... You didn't submit anything. You found fault with text that was
already there. Gerard (or someone) wrote the original text which was
accurate at the time because it pointed out missing features of CVS. All
I did was shift the perspective. Now we have Subversion, now we don't
have that limitation. How can it be *bashing* a piece of software, when
it only stating a matter of fact? 'Before, people wanted this
functionality... it couldn't be done because of limitations in
software... now it can be done...' Besides, it highlights one of the
reasons we actually switched over to Subversion in the first place.
What's wrong with that?

Randy, do you enjoy when people come over to BLFS and nitpick your
commits? I can recall many a thread when you replied harshly to people
that were just pointing out what they thought to be an error or an
incorrect procedure.  Why then, are you doing this to others when you
clearly don't appreciate that coming at you?

Inappropriate?  All I can say is that you wouldn't get this type of a
reaction off of me or others if you just learn to speak in an
un-affronting way...

--
Jeremy Huntwork