[LFS Trac] #684: Must re-evaluate package order then document the rationale.

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 06:25:49 PST 2006

On 3/2/06, LFS Trac <trac at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

>  Anyway, this libtool/autoconf/automake thing has me at a loss.  If we move
>  up libtool, then grep has to go with it.  sed is already in the first
>  block.  So, that order would look something like this:

>  coreutils
>  grep
>  iana-etc
>  m4
>  ncurses
>  procps
>  sed
>  libtool
>  perl
>
>  Or, we could leave grep where it is and add /bin/grep -> /tools/bin/grep
>  to the Essential Symlinks.
>
>  I say we ignore automake in autoconf testsuite.  They're circular, so
>  either one has to be in /tools to get full coverage, or we just pick one
>  that goes first.  No one is going to put autoconf in /tools since it
>  already fights such a bitter battle to stay in LFS at all.  So, I say we
>  keep the order alphabetical with the unfortunate effect that autoconf
>  loses some test suite coverage.

Is anyone else going to comment on the issue of
libtool/autoconf/automake being used in each other's testsuites, thus
causing circular dependencies?

Specifically, if libtool is moved up to satifsy autoconf, grep must
also move with it because libtool will hardcode it's location.  Or, we
can add /bin/grep -> /tools/bin/grep to Ch. 6.7 Essential Symlinks.

Please comment if you have time because this is a legitimate hangup.

--
Dan