Book Bad, Improve Book

roliopolio roliopolio at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 06:12:07 PST 2006

Here are a few moans that I hope will result in an improvement to the
LFS Book.

I was looking forward to LFS bringing clarity into my Linux world.
Maybe it will,  but I can't even build it.

Basically the current Book does not tell me clearly enough what goes
where...

--  there is not a single diagramme of a directory tree.
     It would be a huge help to show the trees both during the tool
build and later.

--  as a result,  leave me unclear where source files are to be
un-archived to.
     For example,  I end up with  directories such as
sources_tarballs,  sources,  gcc-build  and  gcc-3.4.3,  and no idea of
their relative position.

--  commands are given relative to a current directory that seems to
change over time:     "mkdir -v    ../gcc-build"
     Since it is generally not explicitly mentioned where I am supposed
to be at the time,  I am left floundering, looking around at nearby
instructions to try to deduce what is needed !
     Let's have it clearly stated at each point what the current working
directory has to be,  or if the command can be done from anywhere,
include the full paths.

--  What might also be useful is a list of explicit pre-amble
instuctructions that set up the environment for the case that the build
is broken off and resumed at a later time.  At the moment these are
somewhat dispersed across the tool build section.

I do hope these points can be addressed,  because after two long tries
at getting the tools built,  I can't see myself progressing otherwise.

Cheers,
    rw