Book Bad, Improve Book

Richard A Downing richard at langside.org.uk
Tue Mar 7 13:18:41 PST 2006

Sash wrote:
> Chris Staub wrote:
>
>> roliopolio wrote:
>>
>>> I was looking forward to LFS bringing clarity into my Linux world.
>>> Maybe it will,  but I can't even build it.
>>
>> In other words, you want to be hand-held every step of the way. You
>> want the book to tell you explicitly every single command, and don't
>> really want to learn anything from it.
>>
>>> --  What might also be useful is a list of explicit pre-amble
>>> instuctructions that set up the environment
>>
> Why couldn't we have a book for beginners? A book with basic Linux
> instructions. A book that is so basic anyone who knows how to use a
> computer and understands a bit about operating systems could build a
> system and learn along the way? Rather than just preaching to everyone
> they have to have x months of linux experience, must have read this
> prerequisite, and that prerequisite; let's put a book together that
> encompasses all of that. People get tired of the main option for use on
> a computer, discover Linux, hear about LFS, jump in the deep end and
> either drown in frustration, give up and walk away with a bitter taste
> of failure, or hang around reading and hoping someday it will all make
> sense. The steps in the book aren't hard to follow. It's getting ready
> to begin the book that loses many. Let's make a study group that begins
> at the beginning. The people in that "study group" could stay away from
> all the devs and editors except the ones who wanted to participate. We
> could actually begin at the beginning and progress to LFS. Who knows we
> might even last through BLFS. Anyone interested?
>
> Sash

Why should we assume that people start from knowing how to use a
computer?  When I grew up no-one knew what a computer was, never mind
how to use one (I plan to learn RSN).  The biggest problem that Linux
has is that everyone learns computers with Wingdoos, and not with a
proper system.  Wangflues is just not the right way to think, never mind
use a computer.

We should have a book for beginners - Absolute Beginners - you know like
the kids in the school next door.  But it won't be a book about building
Linux from Scratch.  It could be a book about a distro built from
LFS/BLFS (DVD in the cover) though.

'Start life with Linux'

R.