[LFS Trac] #1750: Shadow >= 4.0.14 installs UTF-8 manual pages

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 06:12:46 PST 2006

On 3/20/06, LFS Trac <trac at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

>  Proposed solution: either remove all translated manual pages, or do the
>  following:
<snip>
>  2) Create a script for converting manual pages:
>
>  cat >convert-mans <<"EOF"
>  #!/bin/sh -e
>  FROM="$1"
>  TO="$2"
>  shift ; shift
>  while [ $# -gt 0 ]
>  do
>          FILE="$1"
>          shift
>          iconv -f "$FROM" -t "$TO" "$FILE" >.tmp.iconv
>          mv .tmp.iconv "$FILE"
>  done
>  EOF
>  chmod 755 convert-mans

Since this situation could potentially arise again in the future (man
pages that need conversion), I suggest adding the script to the system
during the Man-DB installation.  Although it simply calls iconv, this
could come in quite handy, IMO.  And if it's a standard installation
in LFS, then BLFS can use it, too.

>  3) Convert manual pages:

/usr/sbin/convert-mans UTF-8 ISO-8859-2 man/cs/*.?

Dan