r7469 - in branches/udev_update/BOOK: . chapter01 chapter03 chapter06

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 30 03:51:24 PST 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> ken at linuxfromscratch.org wrote:
> > +    the table below. It will not help if you are using a UTF-8 locale.
>
> No, it will. Man-DB, unlike Man, expects the manual page to be in the encoding
> in the table below, even if this disagrees with the locale encoding. So in
> UTF-8 locales, a conversion from that encoding to the locale encoding will be
> performed by Man-DB. That's exactly the reason why Man-DB is in the book: it
> displays any standard-enough manual page in any locale without extra
> configuration. UTF-8 manual pages are just not standard enough.

 /me swears quietly at my earlier inability to test this correctly, and
wonders what I was smoking.  Yes, a quick test using fi_FI.UTF-8 and
fi_FI for man 1 passwd shows that my current system (-without- the
converted pages) does not work for UTF-8, but in chroot (with
the conversion) both work.  Colour me puzzled why it seemed to be
different yesterday, and thanks for the explanation below.