Uploading new packages, and the editor's manual

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 30 06:51:24 PST 2006

Ken Moffat wrote:
>  In the editor's guide (6.3), it says
>
> Download the package to belgarath in your home directory. If it's not
> bzip2'ed, then make it so.
>
>  Is this still sensible ?  As far as I can see, we point all downloads
> to homepages or mirrors, rather than to an lfs domain.

My personal preference on this point would be to change the book to show
two URLs. One points to the maintainer's site where a reader could learn
more about the package, find other versions, release announcements and
so on. The other points to the actual bz2 tarball which we store on our
FTP servers.

We already have the mirrors. I think by making more direct use of them,
we would make the build just a little easier for our readers and perhaps
save us a few headaches, too.

>  I'm also planning to update the manual soon - it predates trac, and the
> instructions for downloading (trunk) make branch maintenance
> unnecessarily difficult, at least IMHO.  To say nothing of blank
> passphrases.  Any comments ?

That would be a big help. :) I say go for it.

--
JH