Uploading new packages, and the editor's manual

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 30 07:46:35 PST 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Jeremy Huntwork wrote:

> My personal preference on this point would be to change the book to show two
> URLs. One points to the maintainer's site where a reader could learn more
> about the package, find other versions, release announcements and so on. The
> other points to the actual bz2 tarball which we store on our FTP servers.

 Certainly, the current links are useful when looking to see if a new
version has arrived, and annoying when I want to download a specific
version.

 Tried a quick local change - if I put a short url (current autoconf) on
the same line as a long url to a version on our mirrors, it looks really
horrible.  If I put them in separate paragraphs, there is excessive
space between them - first url is close to the package name, second
floats in space a long way below asa separate paragraph.  It probably
also needs an explanation of why we are using two forms of urls.

Ken