Uploading new packages, and the editor's manual

Ken Moffat ken at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 30 07:58:20 PST 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, lfs at lfs-matrix.net wrote:

> Hello Ken,
>
> The 2.6.16.1 tarball is already on all LFS FTP mirrors, if you wanted to
> use one of the mirrors.  The packages aren't on belg at all and haven't
> been for a while.  The bz2'ing is still relevant, unless there is some
> reason to keep the gz file (like uClibc-locales because it doesn't
> understand bz2) or if compression is worse with bz2 (like cracklib-words).
>  But currently I handle all of this, so don't know if it needs to be in
> the manual.

 OK, thanks for clarifying, I'll take it out of the editor manual when I
get around to it.  I wasn't looking forward to that upload ;)  I'd
better make it clear that the size is supposed to relate to a .bz2
version.

> ftp://ftp.lfs-matrix.net/pub/lfs/conglomeration/linux/linux-2.6.16.1.tar.bz2
>
> I update the ftp mirrors usually within 24 hours of book changes.
>
> Justin

 So, if we show both directory urls, as now, and absolute links to ftp
mirrors (see previous reply to Jeremy), will that lead to more support
questions because the selected mirror is some hours out of date ?

 And if we do show two urls, what about the size for things like bash
and readline which are officially provided as .gz but will be .bz2 on
the mirrors ?  Worms, can of.

Ken