Uploading new packages, and the editor's manual

Justin R. Knierim lfs at lfs-matrix.net
Fri Mar 31 13:11:58 PST 2006

Archaic wrote:
> IMO, direct links should point to the official upstream package and
> should refer to the size of the official upstream package regardless of
> format.

I'm really regretting taking over the policy of bz2 only from the
previous ftp maintainer.  I can understand the complaints about
everything being in bz2 format, and I am questioning if from now on I
shouldn't just use the gz files...

> 1) Create {us,eu,au,as}.ftp.lfs.org domains so that at least someone can
>    download from their own continent.

That's not a bad idea at all.  I never thought of doing that but it
would work out well.

> 2) Remove the packages and patches pages and replace them with links to
>    a book-versioned directory on each of the above RR-DNS sites. ex:
>    ftp://us.ftp.lfs.org/pub/lfs/6.2/

Yeah, that should work I think.  The "versioned" directories are
normally setup even before a book is released, since it is in package
freeze and should remain the same.  The problem of packages being out of
date is very small.  For development book, it would be fine as well,
since IMO if people know what they are doing they can find a mirror with
the correct package as well.

> bzip2 is horrendously slow in comparison). Also, no one has to trust
> that the upstream MD5 was properly verified before bzipping them and
> thus making the official MD5 useless. The same holds for signed

Yes, md5sums and so on from upstream is also a problem because of bz2,
and is also why I am contemplating the change.  Maybe I should put the
whole bz2 or original-package up for vote somewhere.  It probably should
just be changed and be done with it.

> tarballs. We don't currently sign anything and it still requires an
> extra layer of required trust to assume we properly checked the
> signatures of tarballs before re-packaging them and signing them with a
> non-upstream signature. More hassle than it is worth, IMO, but that's
> just my 2 cents.

And one of these days we can get signed tarballs also.  It isn't really
a hassle considering we aren't releasing new LFS books every week, only
every quarter or half year.

Anyways, you bring up some good points and I will think about them.

Justin