Uploading new packages, and the editor's manual

Justin R. Knierim lfs at lfs-matrix.net
Fri Mar 31 14:52:02 PST 2006

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> I, on the other hand, choose the .gz file. The extra couple seconds
> it takes to download the package is less time than the extra time it
> takes to unpack the .bz2 file.

Makes sense.  Whatever file format you choose to put in the book will be
what is used.  It is somewhat automated so your choice is golden.  ;)

The file sizes aren't that different, true.  The extreme case being
OpenOffice but then again, maybe bandwidth isn't an issue or they have
their reasons to distribute it as gz only.

hops:justin ~/tmp2 $ ls -lh OOo_2*
-rw-r--r--  1 justin users 219M Mar 31 22:39 OOo_2.0.0_src.tar.bz2
-rw-r--r--  1 justin users 263M Mar 31 22:43 OOo_2.0.0_src.tar.gz

Even in this case, the savings is only 44MB.  For cracklib-words, the
opposite:

hops:justin ~/tmp2 $ ls -lh cracklib*
-rw-r--r--  1 justin users 5.5M Feb  4  2005 cracklib-words.bz2
-rw-r--r--  1 justin users 4.3M Feb  4  2005 cracklib-words.gz

with bz2 taking longer to compress/decompress and still being 1.2MB bigger.

Anyways, I think it is a good change if just for the fact that official
md5sums and so on will match.

Justin