[LFS Trac] #1728: Chapter 6 - Package Management - Explain why 'install' is generally safer than 'cp'

LFS Trac trac at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 2 19:32:08 PDT 2006

#1728: Chapter 6 - Package Management - Explain why 'install' is generally safer
than 'cp'
-----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
 Reporter:  gerard at linuxfromscratch.org  |        Owner:  lfs-book at linuxfromscratch.org
     Type:  enhancement                  |       Status:  closed
Comment (by tushar at linuxfromscratch.org):

 Based on practical experience, install *is* safer than cp. Let me explain
 the problem that I ran into. I had started KDE. qt was installed in /usr.
 I was recompiling Qt in an xterm. The Qt Makefiles use cp instead of
 install. During installation, the qt libraries were replaced by the new
 versions which caused my KDE session to abort. When I replaced the cp in
 the Makefiles by install, everything was ok.

--
Ticket URL: <http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/1728>
LFS Trac <http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/>