r7580 - in trunk/BOOK: chapter01 chapter08

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed May 3 03:58:20 PDT 2006

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Alexander E. Patrakov wrote these words on 05/02/06 22:37 CST:
>
>> And he is correct because /proc/bus/usb is obsolete and should not be mounted at
>> all unless you run legacy apps like VMware.
>
> Obsolete or not, is there any harm in keeping it? I know this was
> discussed recently, and I thought the determination was that there
> was no harm in keeping it, as there still are devices that use it.
>
> I ran into a situation the other day where some smartcard tools
> needed it.

There is no harm in keeping the mount, so let's keep it as long as there are
words nearby that it is obsolete but may still be needed for applications that
poke USB devices directly instead of using libusb.

OTOH, what was the name of the smatrcard tool? Does it depend upon libusb? Which
version of libusb? Do you have a rule for /dev/bus/usb?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov