r7598 - in trunk/BOOK: . chapter01 chapter03

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed May 10 00:29:09 PDT 2006

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
>> Since all the file sizes are on one page in LFS, why don't you just put
>> all the sizes in general.ent as entities like the version number and
>> md5sum?
>
> I personally don't see the benefit.  The file sizes aren't reused
> anywhere, unlike version numbers.  That's the primary reason I use
> entities anyway.  As for the md5sums, I'm not sure they're reused either
> or whether having them as entities makes them easier to process by jhalfs.

Where I was coming from was to make the updating task easier for the
editors.  The version, md5sum, and file size are all in one place and
can easily be updated by only editing one file.  I suppose you could
throw in SBU times too.

We basically do this in BLFS now, but distribute the data in each
application file.  We use entities and they are always in the same place
right at the top of the file.  Easy to find and easy to edit.  The only
exception is that we do have the version numbers in general.ent because
they may be used in multiple files.

Just a suggestion.

  -- Bruce