r7598 - in trunk/BOOK: . chapter01 chapter03

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed May 10 10:30:15 PDT 2006

Justin R. Knierim wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Where I was coming from was to make the updating task easier for the
>> editors.  The version, md5sum, and file size are all in one place and
>> can easily be updated by only editing one file.  I suppose you could
>> throw in SBU times too.
>
> That does make sense, but unfortunately each chapter can have a
> different SBU and build size, etc.

I forgot about that, but I'd probably put everything in one file anyway.
The most complex situation is probably binutils.  I'd do something like
this.

<!ENTITY binutils-version     "2.16.1">
<!ENTITY binutils-md5         "6a9d529efb285071dad10e1f3d2b2967">
<!ENTITY binutils-size        "12,272 KB">
<!ENTITY binutils-ch5p1-time  "1.0 SBU">
<!ENTITY binutils-ch5p1-space "170 MB">
<!ENTITY binutils-ch5p2-time  "1.5 SBU">
<!ENTITY binutils-ch5p2-space "114 MB">
<!ENTITY binutils-ch6-time    "1.3 SBU">
<!ENTITY binutils-ch6-space   "158 MB">

It would take a little effort to set up, but save effort in the long
term as newer releases are made. Of course it would not affect the
appearance or content of the book at all.

Again, this is just a suggestion.  I have no problem if none of the LFS
editors want to do this.  Since Manuel is doing the updates on this,
perhaps he would like to comment about editing most of the files in the
book.

  -- Bruce