r7628 - in trunk/BOOK: . chapter01 chapter03 chapter06

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu May 25 19:54:48 PDT 2006

Randy McMurchy wrote:
> Jeremy Huntwork wrote these words on 05/25/06 21:17 CST:
>
>> I know there was discussion about whether or not to include this now,
>> but I think given the time it's taken us to finalize plans for 6.2 and
>> the minimal impact vim has on the rest of the system an upgrade now
>> won't cause any harm.
>
> But it doesn't cause any benefit either. It only causes concern about
> issues down the road. My belief (and I could be wrong) is that more
> voted to perform the update after the release. It is probably worth
> looking back at the thread, unless community input is not considered.

There were only two that said 'wait': yourself and Archaic. Dan voted
for inclusion, and I thought my vote was pretty apparent since I
assigned myself the ticket. There was at least one other in the ticket
that definitely said they hoped for inclusion. Others never said one way
or another. Yes, it will require some work and testing, but it's nothing
critical and I don't think it's anything that can't be worked out before
we release a new stable version.

Also we haven't even cut for testing yet and no package freeze has been
declared, so development is free for commits. The only thing that's been
generally agreed upon as far as waiting to update goes is gcc/glibc/make
and those have been marked as such in Trac.

--
JH