r8544 - in trunk/udev-config: . doc

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Fri May 23 06:07:19 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:14 AM, Bryan Kadzban
<bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net> wrote:

> Dan Nicholson wrote:
>> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 4:54 PM,  <bryan at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:
>>> KERNEL=="dm-*",             OPTIONS+="ignore_device"
>>> -KERNEL=="device-mapper",    OPTIONS+="ignore_device"
>>
>> I'm not seeing the device-mapper rules in the 122 rules.

> Crud.  You're right, it isn't there: I just tried loading dm-mod,
> expecting it to create /dev/mapper/control, and it doesn't.
>
>> There's a rule to rename the device to mapper/control in
>> packages/64-device-mapper.rules, but nothing in the default rules.
>
> Yep.  I do remember looking at those packages/* rules, but when I killed
> the rule in 55-lfs, I thought the device-mapper rule was part of
> 50-udev-default.  Obviously I got that wrong.  :-)
>
> Well, the easiest fix is to modify the book to copy
> etc/udev/packages/64-device-mapper.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d (though
> that may mess up DESTDIR when that happens).  A harder fix (only because
> it involves changing the udev-config tarball again) would be to either
> revert this change, or copy the packages/64-device-mapper.rules rule.

I think we should consider installing all the packages rules. Even for
the mdraid rules where it has mdadm in a RUN rule, well, you're really
going to need to run mdadm if you're trying to use mdraid. I don't see
anything in packages that you might not want at some later point.

> Explanatory text might be the hard part; maybe something like "Install
> an extra rule from Udev that handles the kernel device-mapper interface,
> which is only used in some not-officially-LFS-supported cases"?  The
> problem is, LFS doesn't explicitly support device-mapper (LVM, dmraid,
> etc.), so it seems a bit weird installing support for those tools if
> support isn't included in the base udev package.  Hmm...

But the tools won't run unless you start setting up LVM or dmraid
devices. In which case, you better have the userspace tools or you're
not gonna get anywhere. It would probably be better to ship these
rules with their associated packages, but that doesn't seem to be the
situation right now.

--
Dan