Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Sat Feb 5 09:56:03 PST 2011

I don't know if you would be interested adding ccache to the book.
If you build only once, there is no gain (it even slow a bit the first
build).

I don't feel this is a requirement for the book.
Maybe the best would be only add that in jhalf.

That's a bit special as each time you compile the compiler, gcc mtime change
and that would  by default invalidate the cached data. But in ccache-3, you
could define CCACHE_COMPILERCHECK environment variable to solve that issue.
You have then to update that variable each time a new gcc is installed.

There is too some care to take when compiling using --build option on
configure.
If you only use the gcc symlink to ccache, when the triplet-gcc is used,
ccache see no call.

I recently upgraded ipcop from ccache-2.4 to ccache-3 and with appropriate
cache size (a bit more than 1 GB for us), build time could be reduced by
50%, comparing with no cache.

Gilles