Ch5 GCC pass 1 failure & Prerequisites (Part 2)

Test Man mr_nobby at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 08:40:13 PST 2011

Thanks for your reply Gilles.

--- On Sun, 2/13/11, Gilles Espinasse <g.esp at free.fr> wrote:

> From: Gilles Espinasse <g.esp at free.fr>
> Subject: Re: Ch5 GCC pass 1 failure & Prerequisites (Part 2)
> To: "LFS Book Maintenance List" <lfs-book at linuxfromscratch.org>
> Date: Sunday, February 13, 2011, 1:57 PM
> I found someone more masochistic than me trying to compile
> on PI-166.

I compiled LFS 5.0 on a 386/20 a few years ago ;-) Some might say that's masochistic but it was fun!

> Are you really certain about CFLAGS when you write this has
> nothing to do?
>
> Beware not to set CFLAGS on chap5
> It really depend how you set CFLAGS, if you export CFLAGS
> or use it in each
> command line.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am definitely not using any optimization. To be very sure I scrapped the build and started over after double checking that neither CFLAGS or CXXFLAGS were set, before I posted here. I'm building from SVN-20110210 and following it to the letter.

> I am building (not exactly lfs-book) on older host
> centos-5.5 based
> (bash-3.2.25, gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.5) than yours and I doubt
> the reason you
> put in front is the right. I am using a different
> ./configure for gcc but
> still use the same make && make install and that
> simply work.

Yeah, I wasn't really convinced then and I'm still not really convinced now that it is an out of date host which is the problem. It's just coincidence that this PC has a (relatively) recent LFS build (about 18 months old). I have the wrong idea here, but I'm a firm believer that LFS should be able to build itself successfully, even from an old build, which I think normally it succeeds at doing.

Cheers, Mr Nobby.