[lfs-book] [LFS Trac] #4059: binutils-2.28
trac at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 2 08:25:21 PST 2017
Reporter: bdubbs@… | Owner: bdubbs@…
Type: task | Status: assigned
Priority: normal | Milestone: 8.1
Component: Book | Version: SVN
Severity: normal | Resolution:
Changes (by bdubbs@…):
* owner: lfs-book@… => bdubbs@…
* status: new => assigned
Changes in 2.28:
* Add support for locating separate debug info files using the build-id
method, where the separate file has a name based upon the build-id of
the original file.
* This version of binutils fixes a problem with PowerPC VLE 16A and 16D
relocations which were functionally swapped, for example,
R_PPC_VLE_HA16A performed like R_PPC_VLE_HA16D while R_PPC_VLE_HA16D
performed like R_PPC_VLE_HA16A. This could have been fixed by
renumbering relocations, which would keep object files created by an
older version of gas compatible with a newer ld. However, that would
require an ABI update, affecting other assemblers and linkers that
create and process the relocations correctly. It is recommended that
all VLE object files be recompiled, but ld can modify the relocations
if --vle-reloc-fixup is passed to ld. If the new ld command line
option is not used, ld will ld warn on finding relocations inconsistent
with the instructions being relocated.
* The nm program has a new command line option (--with-version-strings)
which will display a symbol's version information, if any, after the
* The ARC port of objdump now accepts a -M option to specify the extra
instruction class(es) that should be disassembled.
* The --remove-section option for objcopy and strip now accepts section
patterns starting with an exclamation point to indicate a non-matching
section. A non-matching section is removed from the set of sections
matched by an earlier --remove-section pattern.
* The --only-section option for objcopy now accepts section patterns
starting with an exclamation point to indicate a non-matching section.
A non-matching section is removed from the set of sections matched by
an earlier --only-section pattern.
* New --remove-relocations=SECTIONPATTERN option for objcopy and strip.
This option can be used to remove sections containing relocations.
The SECTIONPATTERN is the section to which the relocations apply, not
the relocation section itself.
Ticket URL: <http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/ticket/4059#comment:1>
LFS Trac <http://wiki.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/>
Linux From Scratch: Your Distro, Your Rules.
More information about the lfs-book