Upgrade question

James Drabb JDrabb at darden.com
Tue Oct 1 05:40:48 PDT 2002

Don't feel like you shouldn't buy an nVidia card.  They are really good
cards.  I had a 16MB nVidia TNT and yesterday just bought a 64MB nVidia
Geforce 3 Ti 500.  To give you some performance stats, my tnt card with
the standard open X nv driver got about 135 fps with glxgears running in
its default mode.  The TNT with the nVidia binary only driver got about
325 fps with glxgears.  My new Geforece 3 Ti 500 gets 3,500+ fps with
glxgears, a HUGE improvement!  I wish the drivers were open as well.
For some reason hardware manufacturers think that they have some top
secret interface for their hardware.  I think any interface should be
open.  I think as Linux continues to grow that most things will be open,
however we will still have to except closed source drivers for things
just like in winblows.  I don't ever see nVidia, Lexmark or ATI opening
all their specs.  The ATI cards are not totally open either.  The
Weather Channel is paying ATI to develop an Open Source driver for the
newer Readeons, however it will lack some features that their closed
source drivers will have. So when it comes to some hardware on Linux, it
will always be a tradeoff between using some old, slow, clunky fully
open hardware or some new, fast closed sourced hardware.  I say go
ahead and buy the nVidia card.  Maybe look into the Geforce 3 Ti 500.
Mine came with video out for $99 from www.tigerdirect.com.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst