Upgrade question

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Tue Oct 1 06:36:10 PDT 2002

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 12:41:11 +0000 (UTC)
JDrabb at darden.com ("James Drabb") wrote:

A few points below...

> Don't feel like you shouldn't buy an nVidia card.  They are really
> good cards.

Actually I always found their image stability and contrast somewhat
lacking. My Voodoo3 was a cracing card from that point of view. Radeons
have better contrast and similar stability (most of them, anyway - I
cant speak for all the el-cheapo OEMs, though)...

>  I had a 16MB nVidia TNT and yesterday just bought a 64MB
> nVidia Geforce 3 Ti 500.  To give you some performance stats, my tnt
> card with the standard open X nv driver got about 135 fps with
> glxgears running in its default mode.

Thats because its software rendered...

>  The TNT with the nVidia binary
> only driver got about 325 fps with glxgears.  My new Geforece 3 Ti 500
> gets 3,500+ fps with glxgears, a HUGE improvement!

Yeah, compared with software rendering!! (still, not bad).

>  I wish the drivers were open as well.

Dont we all?

> we will still have to except closed
> source drivers for things just like in winblows.

Why? If we vote with our wallets, then things will change. its the only
language hardware manufacturers understand.

And if we let them start with the binary crap now, think how it will be
when linux gets popular.

>  I don't ever see
> nVidia, Lexmark or ATI opening all their specs.  The ATI cards are not
> totally open either.

No, but its a step in the right direction.

>  The Weather Channel is paying ATI to develop an
> Open Source driver for the newer Readeons, however it will lack some
> features that their closed source drivers will have.

Thats not accurate. The Weather channel is sponsoring the DRI project to
write 8500 drivers, not ATI.

> So when it comes
> to some hardware on Linux, it will always be a tradeoff between using
> some old, slow, clunky fully open hardware or some new, fast closed
> sourced hardware.

I hope not.

>  I say go ahead and buy the nVidia card.  Maybe look
> into the Geforce 3 Ti 500. Mine came with video out for $99 from
> www.tigerdirect.com.

Why, when the 8500 gives equivalent performance, at least, and has an
open driver AND a closed one ?
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org