Upgrading

DJ Lucas dj_me at swbell.net
Tue Oct 1 13:50:53 PDT 2002

"James Drabb" wrote in message

> Hello group,
>
> I just finished an LFS CVS about 3 days ago.  I am wondering what is the
> best way to upgrade when 4.0 final comes out?  I guess I should be able to
> skip chapter 5 and just do chapter 6 and let it overwrite anything from my
> cvs version correct?  What about glibc and gcc?  Is anything changing from
> CVS to 4.0 from about 7 days ago?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Jim Drabb

Actually I had a similar question, and was thinking about
rebuilding glibc and gcc with the new patches.  Problem is,
I want to use the existing system to build the new versions,
and not be dependant on statically compiled binaries.  What
I was thinking is running configure and make before init 1, and
then building another Chapter5 /static partition (using
all the newest tools) specificly for the make install phase,
then doing 'init 1'.  Setting the path to '/static/bin:/static/sbin'
and then doing just the 'make install' phase of the build from
this.  Does the makefile hardcode the locations of install, cp, rm,
etc...  Would this be the appropriate way to handle things?
Being I'm using the same versions of the libs, I don't think
rebuilding glibc would mess up anything, but I'm unsure.

Suggestions?

DJ

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org