Upgrade question

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Tue Oct 1 14:21:46 PDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 13:59, Joe Morris wrote:
> KD> I have been using pricewatch.com to find the lowest prices available
> for
> KD> a couple of years now.
>
> Yes, but is there any way to tell if they are reputable?
> Joe

Pricewatch polices vendors via feedback from users.  I have easily
bought over $20k of equipment in this manner over the past 2 1/2 years.
Problems were dealt with quickly and to my satisfaction.  Fact is, the
only problem I have had is a single mobo with a manufacture's defect.

The only thing you can see of the company is their website.  If it
sucks, find a different vendor.  I just bought a SODIMM and hard drive
from sybercom.com and over at googlegear.com I got a DVD and 3 sticks of
SDRAM last week.  Last night I bought a Orinoco 'silver' PCMCIA wireless
card from emscomputing.com.  When faced with two vendors who's total
cost is approximately the same I will go with the one with the lower
shipping cost.  That way, if there is a problem I don't get hosed on
shipping. (You should only have to pay for the shipping back but they
usually want you to use the same method as when they sent it to you.)
It also puts more $-value in the part itself if you need to return it or
whatever.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,