Upgrade question

Tony Karakashian tonyk at rochestermidland.com
Wed Oct 2 05:59:07 PDT 2002

>> As a customer, the right thing is to deliver unto me a product of which
>> I can use all the features I payed for.

And, they do.  They just don't do it the way YOU want them to.  Major
distinction.

>> I feel that if you're going to use software written by the community,
>> you should try to help out where possible.

If they were using software written by the community, they'd be
required by the GPL to release the drivers open source, wouldn't they?
Therefore, they're probably not using software written by the community.

>> Im sorry? A law granting me the right to use something I PAYED for, for
>> the purpose it was designed, is stupid?

Depends.  My answer was in the context of the converstion.  A context of
basically, "they should release enough specs that I could write my own
driver for their card".  In that context, yes, the law is stupid.  They
provide you with everything you need to reasonably use your card, anything
beyond that is their generosity.

-T
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org