Upgrade question

James Drabb JDrabb at darden.com
Thu Oct 3 06:58:40 PDT 2002

<snip>
> I do not have the temerity to tell my entire
> organization "YOU HAVE TO USE THIS", especially
> if there's a chance that a single user will come
> to me and say, "How do I do...?" and I have to
> answer..."You can't."
>
> -T
</snip>

I agree with some of your points.  However, I don't
agree with the one above.  I have yet to find something
I can do in Windows that I cannot do in Linux.  On the
contray I have found many things that the average home user
CAN do in Linux that they cannot do in Linux.  For example,
the average home user cannot/will not afford to setup a M$
machine with the shere number of applications that a Linux
user can for free.  And for a budding programmer, there
is not hope in setting up a good dev environment under
M$ like you get with Linux.  The m$ dev tools are SO
expensive.  Also, M$ has been around a lot longer then
Linux and has more time to mature their product.  I also
don't agree with windows being a better desktop.  The
average home user is not an administrator nor do they
have an administrator at their disposal to do
"best practices".  For example, windows XP grants EVERY
new user admin rights.  So when the average home user installs
XP and say, adds two users to login with, both users are now
admins.  So any virus or M$ exploit of the week will have full
control of the system.  Why on earth would M$ knowingly add all
new users to the admin group?  I think it is probably so that
there auto update crap can run, and they can do things in the
background without the user knowing.  This sets them up for
their next generation of TOTAL CONTROL over a user by not
allowing certain programs to run etc.  I do agree that an M$
box can be locked down pretty tight.  I just finished rolling out
1,500 custom kiosks that use winblows 2000 and custom software
I wrote to monitor all 1,500 pc's and also to do remote contorl
and updating.  The security is pretty tight, however, there are
still some holes that are a limitation of the OS.  But these
few holes are very hard to get at and 99.9 percent of the
users out there don't know how to get to them.  I wanted to
do the kiosks with Linux, however a year ago, the higher-ups
were not ready to make that step.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst