Upgrade question

James Drabb JDrabb at darden.com
Thu Oct 3 08:56:13 PDT 2002

What are you talking about?  There are PLENTY of video editing tools
under
Linux, there is cinelerra, film gimp, etc.  The big motion picture
studios
use Linux.  The movie shrek was done with LINUX and countless other
movies.
Go read the July 2002 article in Linux Journal about ILM (the maker
of starwars, Perfect Storm, etc) and how they are using Linux and not
winblows for the second episode of starwars.

Burning cd's is a piece of cake on Linux.  Even my dad can fire up
xcdroast,
gcombust, etc and burn a cd.  You cannot judge Linux based on LFS.  LFS
was
made for power users that want all the gory details.  I pretty much only
use
LFS but from time to time install the latest versions of Mandrake and
Redhat
to see how they are coming.  Mandrake's default install makes it easy
for
a monkey to do most things.  When you try to install something you are
prompted for a root password and then the install is done.
How hard is that?  While installing some things on Linux may be harder
then
installing on winblows.  The average home user has big problems
uninstalling
things on winblows.  Most home users install all these stupid shareware
apps
that put spyware on their pc and even after uninstalling the spyware is
left.
I have tons of family members asking me to come and remove junk from
their
winblows machine.

There is no compilation needed with distro's that the average user
will be using.  They just install using an rpm just like they would
install on winblows using an exe.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst