Upgrade question

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Thu Oct 3 13:41:24 PDT 2002

On Thu, 3 Oct 2002 20:23:07 +0000 (UTC)
tonyk at rochestermidland.com ("Tony Karakashian") wrote:

> >> My Archimedes does the equivalent in under a second and its over 15
> >> years old!!!
>
> Yes, I'm sure it does.  NOW, who's the liar?

I can prove it if you care to visit.

The software in question is called Ovation PRO.

The machine has a 25MHz ARM3 CPU, and 16 MB of RAM. it has a SLOW
(<4MB/sec) Harddisc, and only 480K of video RAM which is shared DRAM on
the CPU bus.

And before you say 'you cant load a 5MB file in <1sec on a slow
harddisc', Well, certain people know how to write efficient code. why
read 5MB of file to display the first page?

Ok, so print it, I hear you say... well, by the time the first page is
spooling on its way, the remaining ones are being read from disc. so, no
penalty there.

OLD HARDWARE can outperform modern stuff on a LOT of things, given
clever software.

>  BTW, you seem to have  forgotten the point, which was the open source
>  office takes 6X as long.

Dont do that then. Try AbiWord.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org