Upgrade question

Tony Karakashian tonyk at rochestermidland.com
Thu Oct 3 17:21:08 PDT 2002

>> You want the magical blackbox to be as small as possible. In my
>> experience the largest part of IT costs come from supporting and
>> "hopefully replacing soon" these types of system. But I realize it
>> is inevitable in almost all companies with a more than trivial
>> backbone.

Well, yes and no.  I want to minimize the types and number of systems
I have to maintain.  At present, I have under my responsibility the
corporate communications (e-mail, telephones), ERP (Oracle on HP-UX),
Web services (IIS with, yes, a MySQL backend), Application services
(Citrix, Oracle Applications), WAN (on Linux VPN firewalls) along
with a myriad of smaller tasks running on a myriad of different
systems.  While I do have assistance in maintaining and administering,
I handle the bulk of the load on the back end.  That's a lot of work,
and I want to minimize it as best I can.  Had I the choice, the
Oracle would be running on 2000, however, when I arrived, NT/2000
wasn't scalable to the level I needed, so I stuck with what we had:
HP-UX.  Do I plan to make the switch?  Mmmm...couldn't tell you. I
run on a 4-year replacement cycle.  That's just long enough for the
warranties to expire on everything, and "pushing my luck" for a year
without one.  Yes, I could get an extended, but they're usually
more than the cost of a new machine.  Since, then, I don't plan on
replacing it in the next year and half at least, it's not really on
my radar.  I don't plan that far in advance.  I could be completely
converted to Linux by then, who know?  It's all about minimizing
complexity.  That blackbox should only have one button. :)

>> That sounds an awful lot like marketing speak to me.

Yeah, it did.  :)

>> Did you not start out somewhere in the engine room? Being a BOFH is
>> sometimes required. I like to help people, but sometimes you really
>> need to play dirty to get forward.

Actually, no.  I got my first real job when I was 14-15 working in my
mother's office.  They had just gotten these new "PeeCees" in, and I
had to set 'em all up.  I've never really been a user...

>> I am sure we were the dumbos, but getting Outlook mail into a
>> new installation on a newer version of Windows, was not fun at all.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. :)  I've only once
had to go into the registry when installing Outlook, the reason being
the user had somehow managed to get office pro, standard and premium
installed along with a standalone copy of word and excel...in hind
sight, that shoulda been a machine I just wiped. :)

-T
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org