Upgrade question

S. Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Thu Oct 3 18:54:02 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 09:45, Ken Dyke wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 18:08, S. Bougerolle wrote:
> > Hm.. What do you guys think of his claim that s-tar is MORE standards
> > compliant than GNU tar?
>
> Which standard would that be?

POSIX, IIRC.  I don't have the README handy and I'm too lazy to dig it
out right now, but I do recall his clear statement that GNU tar was not
compliant and s-tar is the only one that is.

I'm not saying he's right, mind you.  Still, Schiling does write good
stuff - good enough that I put up with peculiarities like the way he
writes everything into /opt/schily by default.  Likewise I also listen
seriously to his comments on such things.

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting

http://www.creek-and-cowley.com