Upgrade question

S. Bougerolle steveb at creek-and-cowley.com
Thu Oct 3 19:20:14 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 09:56, Tony Karakashian wrote:

> >> That IS your level of management
> >> now, isn't it?  Do you never have those sorts of decisions to make?
> >> You can just keep on with the status quo indefinitely?
>
> I can appreciate you not reading the other posts, but if you're going
> to reply to one, at least read what that one has to say.  I do nothing
> to keep status quo.  In the last 2.5 years with my company, I have
> implemented numerous systems that took the company to the latter half
> of the 20th century, and am looking forward to the future.

Since this is the 21st century, that's not much of a boast :)

The point I keep trying to make is that you don't SOUND like a manager.
You're (and I do mean YOU) arguing over trivialities, like a
technician.

If Windows does what you want and Linux doesn't... fine, shut up about
it.  We've all heard the debate before and I don't remember personally
raising any Windows attacks in this thread with you, but you keep
justifying your involvement with Windows to me anyway. In fact, I agree
that there are areas where Linux just can't match Windows yet (page
layout springs to mind immediately).  However, that sentence is all
you're going to hear from me on the topic because I'm tired of it and
I'm sure everyone else here is as well.

MY beef with you is the way you're polluting one of my favourite
discussion groups with your confrontational, nay obnoxious postings.
You ignore, misinterpret, insult, and boast with the effect of stirring
up endless acrimony.  As with all these sorts of feud, I might be
polluting it more by answering you, but after sitting through two or
three battles you've fired up in the past, I judge it's worth a bit of
effort to try to civilize you.  Only a bit and I'm at my message limit
with this post so I won't say anything more after.

> >> The real debate is all about strategy and you seem not to want to
> >> argue that aspect of it.
>
> I really don't want to argue on any point, however, since you have
> not brought up strategy, I had no reason to respond to it.

Many people (even some in this thread) have answered your argument about
"the right tool for the job" by pointing out that Microsoft stacks
things so that strategy will lead you to depend on them, and the short
term benefits any organization gains by using Microsoft will be
outweighed because everyone loses in the long run by putting MS on top.
THIS is a discussion of some practical relevance to people here (who
have to make choices addressed directly by the debate), and it MIGHT be
worth a bit of a discussion only you won't answer it.

That is the point I wished to make.  I apologize if it's not as clear as
it could have been; this has been a tiring week and I'm not at my best
this morning.

--
Steve Bougerolle
Creek & Cowley Consulting