Upgrade question

Ken Dyke ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.net
Thu Oct 3 19:23:18 PDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 19:54, S. Bougerolle wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 09:45, Ken Dyke wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 18:08, S. Bougerolle wrote:
> > > Hm.. What do you guys think of his claim that s-tar is MORE standards
> > > compliant than GNU tar?
> >
> > Which standard would that be?
>
> POSIX, IIRC.  I don't have the README handy and I'm too lazy to dig it
> out right now,

I hear you.  I was being lazy, too, which is why I asked.

He does not have much nice to say about GNU make either.

> I'm not saying he's right, mind you.  Still, Schiling does write good
> stuff - good enough that I put up with peculiarities like the way he
> writes everything into /opt/schily by default.

um...yeah.  It took a good two minutes for me to figure out where it
went that first time.  This past summer a client asked me to create
back-up copies of a large number of CD-G discs.  That was my initiation
into the deeper black arts of Compact Disc.  Specifically, the 'Red
Book' which is the originally that all others are derived from. (Oh, BTW
CDrecord does not do CD-G.)

>  Likewise I also listen
> seriously to his comments on such things.

I don't know what to make of some of them but I don't dismiss them
either.

--
I think, therefore, ken_i_m
Chief Gadgeteer,