Upgrade question

Tony Karakashian tonyk at rochestermidland.com
Thu Oct 3 19:46:21 PDT 2002


>> Since this is the 21st century, that's not much of a boast :)

Considering they were, at best, early 19th, I'd say it was a fairly
large accomplishment. :)

>> You're (and I do mean YOU) arguing over trivialities, like a
>> technician.  

Really?  Such as?  As I recall, I made a comment about having tried
"all" the video editors under Linux, someone pulled an obscure one
out of their ass, and a melee ensued on my use of the word "all".  
I have not advocated the use of any other os or software, I merely
answered a question about why I don't use Linux on the desktop, and 
had my throat promptly jumped down despite the fact that I pointed
out that I use it quite extensively.  I'm not the one arguing
trivialities.  I've been called a liar, and a troll for agreeing
with most of what's been said, and disagreeing when I do.  I argue
trivialities?  Hardly.  I merely have an opinion that might disagree
with the masses.  Oh, right, and then I'm labeled closed-minded for
not following the band.  Then, finally, as if it's really important
all anyone can talk about is the threading of messages.  

>> If Windows does what you want and Linux doesn't... fine, shut up about
>> it.  We've all heard the debate before and I don't remember personally
>> raising any Windows attacks in this thread with you, but you keep
>> justifying your involvement with Windows to me anyway. 

I HAVE NOT.  I HAVE NOT ONCE TRIED TO JUSTIFY MY USE OF IT TO YOU IN ANY
WAY.  I DO NOT HAVE TO JUSTIFY MYSELF TO YOU, OR ANYONE ON THIS LIST. I
HAVE STATED THAT LINUX DOESN'T DO ALL I NEED IT TO.  THAT'S NOT A 
JUSTIFICATION, IT'S A FACT.  MACOS ACTUALLY PROVIDES ME WITH MORE OF
WHAT I NEED THAN EVEN THE OS I USE, AND IF I COULD JUSTIFY THE COST TO 
MY COMPANY, I WOULD USE IT

I only have to justify myself, in this regard, to my boss, and his, the
CEO.  No one else.  On important matters, I defer to my Misses.

>> However, that sentence is all you're going to hear from me on the 
>> topic because I'm tired of it and I'm sure everyone else here is as well.

Great!  Now that you're done talking about it, maybe you'll stop
accusing me of doing so!

>> three battles you've fired up in the past, I judge it's worth a bit of
>> effort to try to civilize you.  Only a bit and I'm at my message limit
>> with this post so I won't say anything more after.

Good.  As you're the one who started it, I'm glad you're finally
finishing it.

>> Many people (even some in this thread) have answered your argument about
>> "the right tool for the job" by pointing out that Microsoft stacks
>> things so that strategy will lead you to depend on them, and the short
>> term benefits any organization gains by using Microsoft will be
>> outweighed because everyone loses in the long run by putting MS on top. 
>> THIS is a discussion of some practical relevance to people here (who
>> have to make choices addressed directly by the debate), and it MIGHT be
>> worth a bit of a discussion only you won't answer it.

I have discussed it, numerous times, that I am NOT LOCKED IN TO ANY 
TECHNOLOGY.  I'm not yelling, BTW, but since you're not actually reading
my message before responding, I'm hoping the salient points will catch
your eye.  If the whole industry moves to Linux tomorrow, so be it.  When
my upgrade cycle repeats in a year and half, two years, I'll be ready to
move that way.  And, I will be ready to lead the pack in it's use, again.
As to Microsoft "stacking", every company does that.  The fact that MS
is larger than most means their stacks are a little bigger.  Big deal,
the bigger they are, the harder they fall and the easier it is to make 
'em do so.

>> That is the point I wished to make.  I apologize if it's not as clear as
>> it could have been; this has been a tiring week and I'm not at my best
>> this morning.

Apparently, you keep reading your messages and responding to them as if
it was from me.  I'll make it simple, not because you're stupid, but
because I've had those weeks, and I know how it goes: I'm not arguing
with you.  I'm not even saying you're wrong, aside from your
characterization of me.  I'm saying you're completely right, why, then
do you insist on attacking me?  And, this isn't just you, Steve,
it's all of you.

-T
-- 
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org
and put 'unsubscribe lfs-chat' in the subject header of the message



More information about the lfs-chat mailing list