Upgrade question

Tony Karakashian tonyk at rochestermidland.com
Fri Oct 4 06:35:12 PDT 2002

>> You have however dealt out your own share of nastiness. I
>> don't care if it was appropriate at the time, but your summing up
>> the communication is not correct at all.

I apologize to you, Bob, and others, such as Ian who don't resort
to the childishness of some of the others, such as Mr. Drabb and
Mr. Marine.  I have always responded in kind to how I am treated.
You have always been professional, and as such I keep it that way
with you.  I was professional with Mr. Drabb when he started, but
his conversation denegrated and I'm ashamed to admit I participated,
with my worst shot in my last e-mail.

>> I believe we had a friendy exchange of ideas, so for you to
>> say that I among others am attacking you, is not nice to read.

I said that late last night, and again should not have used the
term "all".  I apologize to you and the others who have been
professional.

>> You are very vocal and you are generally very able to express your
>> self. This makes it difficult to imagine that you didn't mean
>> it as you wrote it.

I appreciate the fact that you can see that.

>> By the way I am interested in your Windows-boasting (as some have
>> called it).

To clarify, the marjority of my boasting, if it could be called that,
has been about my use of Linux and general busines-integration skills
I have used to tie up most of the loose ends in my company.  I would
hardly boast about Windows in a Linux forum.

>> However I acknowledge that the transition is not
>> trivial and love to hear about real and perceived problems making it

Well, as I see it, the main stumbling block in my organization is the
lack of a good replacement office suite.  After Oracle Apps, that's the
second most used package my users have.  Now, OA is a Java app, so no
problem there, in fact, the app runs better on Linux than it does on
Windows.  Larry hates Bill as much as anyone.  Although IMO, Larry's
the real psycho the world needs to watch out for.

The office suite, however, is the killer.  OpenOffice is good, however
it lacks automation.  Virus discussions aside, this is a necessity for
such a critical app, so we can provide functionality the users require,
using the same interface they already know.  This is important to keep
training costs down, as well as User Ire.  If we keep changing the
way they do things, we lose their support and without their support,
nothing we do is going to make an impact.  Now, there IS and SDK for
OO, but it's "not there" yet.  Development for MS Office, however, is
generally easy enough that a user can do it themselves.  It needs to
be at that level before I could consider it.  We hold training classes
on automating Office, and a good number of our users use it.  They've
used it to make their jobs easier.  How do I go to them and tell them
we're replacing that?

It's second most critical failing is its speed.  As I pointed out, I
have tested it here, as I do every year as a potential replacement.
I look at many options every year as part of my budget planning.  If
I gave a suite that was 6X slower (it's just as slow on the Linux box,
BTW, so "hidden API" theories don't apply) than what they're used
to...well, you can imagine the outcry.

The second main problem for my organization is, simply, I'm only one
person. I already have to maintain 3 different back-end type systems.
For such a small network, that's a lot.  That means three sets of
patches and updates, three sets of management systems and three sets
of problem-solving approaches.  And, this is just the underlying OS.
The myriad of apps that run on them also consumes time.  So, I
try to follow the K.I.S.S. principal when it comes to network
management and design.

-T

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org