findutils-4.1.7 on uClibc

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Oct 6 13:41:48 PDT 2002

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, Ian Molton wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Oct 2002 17:26:28 +0000 (UTC)
> ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net (Ken Moffat) wrote:
>

> > Has anybody managed to build findutils-4.1.7 on lfs with uClibc-0.9.15
> > ?
>

> more to the point, how fast does the system run, and how much space did
> you save?

 Well, I've actually come to a dead end today (see my posting on
blfs-support - gawk is stuffed when I try to build a regular lfs on
this, and tar fails to put all of the existing subdirectories from a
tree into its archive), but for what works it runs adequately nicely.
I've got nothing sensible to time. I suppose I could time building a
kernel, but I haven't bothered so far. Building things is way faster
than with current lfs, but that is mostly down to using gcc-2.95. (No
surprises for you there, I think.)

 Actually, I did time disk reads with hdparm and they were a smidgen
faster than what I normally see, but that might conceivably be down to
running a vanilla 2.4.19 kernel instead of rmap14a, although I doubt it.

 It fits comfortably in about 85Mb, that is all of lfs except gettext
and ed, with man pages for man{1,4,5,8) (gzipped), and with a few info
pages, but including a fully static modutils compiled against glibc, and
with almost every ethernet module (I was hoping to use this as a tool to
build lfs on some other machines. Now, I know regular lfs can be
stripped to less than that, but it loses a lot of functionality. (Not
that this one is a lot better when it can't build a regular lfs or
create reliable backups...).

Ken

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org