fixes for LFS 4.0 makefile

Mon Oct 7 12:32:13 PDT 2002

Argh ... as soon as I ask for help, I figure out what the problems are.

First, in the static-bash target, the line
        test -e /usr/lib/libcurses.a
seems unnecessary to me.  All my systems (RH 7.3, SuSe {7.3,8}) use
libncurses.a instead of libcurses, and the build works just fine if I
remove the test.  If the curses library is _really_ missing, the build will
fail to link.

Also, as was noticed earlier, the glibc target is dependant on itself.  What
seems to have been missed is that _gcc_ should be the one with the glibc
dependancy.

Current Makefile:

glibc:makedev  linux  man-pages  glibc  gcc

        tar -xvjf glibc-2.2.5.tar.bz2 && \
        cd glibc-2.2.5 && \
[snip]
        make P=glibc-2.2.5 log-package

gcc:

        tar -xvjf gcc-3.2.tar.bz2 && \
        cd gcc-3.2 && \

I think it should be

glibc:makedev  linux  man-pages  gcc
. . .
gcc:glibc

Finally, the make is very brittle if it fails.  If you re-run make, it
starts from the beginning instead of continuing from where it left off.
And, if the make is run from the beginning without manual cleanup, it
fails.  For example, the gcc target includes

gcc:

        tar -xvjf gcc-3.2.tar.bz2 && \
        cd gcc-3.2 && \
        \
        bzcat ../gcc-3.2.patch.bz2 | patch -Np1 && \
        mkdir ../gcc-build && \

Which will not work if $LFS/static/src/gcc-build already exists (which is
the case if gcc build started but failed).

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org