Console heroes don't miskate

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Mon Oct 7 17:50:49 PDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 01:55:43AM +0200, Csaba Henk wrote:
> With X, one just copy & pastes it to the prompt, but what can you do
> if you have only the console? Is there some way to copy & paste even
> at the console?

Use GPM for console mouse services which allows copy+paste. Gui's are
good for one thing...abstracting and hiding the user from the
command-line in order to dazzle the user with imagery.

If you don't play video games or care about typing or seeing something
in a Cyrillic 12point italicized, bolded, underlined font (just an
example) then the gui serves as a means of dumbing things down for the
purpose of (usually) convenience.

This convenience becomes less and less meaningful the more you learn the
commandline. And as frame-buffering becomes more mature, it will have
the power to seamlessly integrate the visual neccesities of things like
video, without needing the underlying bloat of a true gui and all the
windowing features. That is what I'm waiting for. The day that I never
have to leave the command-line to do things like watch movies or see
fanciful fonts. I'd rather type (example) mplayer my-fav-movie than
click a few buttons.

It's probably more of a philosophical debate, though, so personal
feelings (regardless of imperical data) will drive this debate.

--
Archaic

--
No one is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound
to enforce it.

- 16 Am. Jur. Sec. 177 late 2d, Sec 256

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org