Console heroes don't miskate

Archaic archaic at comcast.net
Tue Oct 8 09:58:34 PDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 09:06:17AM -0600, Ken Dyke wrote:
> I am see many of the same design assumptions MS made, being taken by
> some major distros and GUI environments (*cough*redhat*cough*).  One
> assumption is that the user does not know what they are doing so hide
> config options.  The lower the level of the option i.e. the more
> fundamental and system-wide, the more layers of crap are put in the
> way.  Not to sound like I am waging a jihad against such design there
> are some situations where there are good reasons for doing this.  I
> would not give a Hole-Hawg to someone who has trouble not burning
> themselves with a curling iron when styling their hair.  Then there are
> times when it is nice to merely put the gear selector in 'drive' and
> head down the highway and look at the sights.

Why use someone else's analogies? If anyone wants to read a rather
intriguing paper on analogies of gui/commandline or MS/Mac/Linux/BeOS,
then you can fill in the blanks in the above paragrapgh here:

http://thecommandline.org/commandline.txt

Quite a nice little foray into personal philosophy. :)

--
Archaic

--
Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best
state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one;

- Thomas Paine

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org